Hello, and a bit of housekeeping

Greetings, Class of 2015. I’m Susan Campbell Beachy, your research adjunct for Craft I with Jan Simpson and Kate Lucadamo. We’ll cover the methods and resources for finding the facts, figures and people that will make your stories shine. Each one-hour research session will consist of a discussion of the topic at hand, followed by a fun and exciting (no, really) drill. Here’s the plan:

• Tues., Sept. 9: How to Research Your CD Beat Memo
  • Tues., Sept. 16: Clip Searches Using Nexis and Factiva
  • Tues., Oct. 7: People Finding
  • Tues., Oct. 14: Finding Experts
  • Tues., Oct. 21: Courts and Legal Research
  • Tues., Nov. 25: Fact-Checking
  • Tues., Dec. 9: Google and Beyond
Your research grade will be calculated as follows:
  • 50% – CD Beat Memo
  • 25% – research grade for one story
  • 25% – fact-checking assignment

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any research-related questions. If you spend more than 20 minutes wrestling with something, email me at susan.beachy[at]journalism.cuny.edu and I’ll give you a hand. I ask only three things of you:

1. Tell me the ways you’ve already tried to find the information. This will prevent me from running over the same ground, and it will also show me areas where the class might need help.
  2. Give me a deadline. If it’s two hours from now, I’ll see what I can do. If it’s in two weeks, let me know that too.
  3. After I send you information, please let me know you’ve received it, and if it meets your needs.

Keep an eye on this blog for recaps of each session and interesting links. I look forward to working with you and turning you into research nerds by December.